The Grammar School
Browse this section for photos of Guisborough Grammar School buildings.
Z77, Guisborough Grammar School from the west, undated
This photograph probably dates to the 1960s, and shows the west end of the grammar school, the east end of Gisborough Priory, and the cottages and gardens between the grammar school and the church.
To the right are buildings which no longer exist. The largest house (second from the right) used to belong to grammar school teacher Geoff Farrington. The cottage just visible past Mr Farrington's house belonged to Mrs Whitworth, who was known as Aunt Fluff to the children of Guisborough because of the cakes she made.
For a larger image, click here.
With thanks to Mrs S. Gibb for sharing her memories of Mrs Whitworth.
Z76, The Waterhouse Building, undated (after 1922)
This early twentieth-century photograph shows the Waterhouse Building of Guisborough Grammar School looking north-west, with the hall that had been added in 1898.
We know that this photograph was taken after 1922 because of the small turret visible above the roof over the Waterhouse Arch. This turret is a clock tower, and was added in 1922 as a memorial to the Old Boys who had died in the Great War.
To view a larger version of this image, click here.
Z73, Science Classroom, 1913
In 1913, the grammar school sold the manor of Bolam, and this paid for considerable expansion. Part of that expansion was the creation of a science lab, and this photograph was taken to commemorate the event.
To view a larger image click here.
Z65 The 1958/59 Extensions
The buildings included on the ground floor at the far end (looking at the photo) a dining hall and biology lab. On the first floor was the Headmaster’s study, staff common room, secretary’s office and marking room.
The near end was the hall/gymnasium and stage, changing rooms and apparatus store.
Z65 A Panoramic view of the Priory and School (undated)
Z65 A view of the Priory through the Arch of the Waterhouse building (undated)
Z65 The Waterhouse building (undated)
Z65 The Waterhouse building (undated) looking northeast
Z65 The Waterhouse building (undated)
Z65 A close up of the Waterhouse building showing the commemoration stone
Z65 A view of the School looking south taken in the early 1960s
Z65 1887 Foundation Stone
This photo, possibly taken in the 1960s, shows the 1887 foundation stone of the Waterhouse building
Z65 1961 Quartercentenary plaque
This photo shows the plaque erected to commemorate the Quartercentary of the school celebrated in 1961
Z65 Coronation Gates
This photo shows the ‘new’ school gates erected in 1938 to commemorate the coronation of King George VI in 1937. The gates were made at Stainthorp by unemployed men as part of a government training project.
There was a formal service for the dedication of the gates involving the Rector of Guisborough, the Headmaster Mr Routh and the Chairman of the Governors. At the end of the ceremony, staff and students passed through the gates “in order”.
Z65 Laying of the foundation stone of the ‘new’ building
This photo shows staff, students and Alderman Peaker, JP, Chairman of the Governors at the laying of the foundation stone for the new building which was completed in 1959. Those pictured include Mr R Armstrong, President of the Old Boys Association, Mr Bill Readman, music teacher, Jake Jowett, Head Boy, Mr R J Routh, Headmaster, Mr W N Thompson, teacher of PE and Art, Mr K Ormandy, general subjects teacher and Mr Thomas, history teacher.
Z65 School Gate leading to the Applegarth Path (undated)
Z283-2 1910 Architects' plans for the laboratory and gym
Z283-4 1934 Architects plans for the Coverdale building
